Saturday 27 August 2016

16 hours to go

Oh my! Less than a day to go and I can tell you this: my nerves have started to flutter. Today I picked up my start number and went to a race brief to learn all about it. There was a lot to stuff into my head, and I am not sure I will remember every single thing, but I think I will be okay. 

There was a worry for me that I would be overtaken by the elite athletes (who will be part of the Norwegian Championships) while cycling, but I was told I would be taken out in that case. And it turned out that I had just under two hours to complete the swimming and cycling, so I should be fine. If I am overtaken during the running I will be okay and they let me finish.

The amount of stuff I need though: incredible! As you can see in the photo, there is so much of it! The number (258) to be worn on the back during cycling and the front during running. A chip to record the actual time. A bottle with squash for my cycling part. A wet suit to be worn while swimming. A swim hat, goggles, ear plugs and a personal buoy. Cycle shorts and shirt, bra, running shoes, socks and wrist and knee protectors. Not in the photo are my cycle helmet and my bike. 

I will be picked up tomorrow by my partner in crime, who has been incredibly helpful over the past few months. I don't think I would have been as ready as I am now without him. Not to say that I am that ready, but I will get over that line tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    By overtaken, I assume you mean 'lapped'... and I hope you are not!!! Go Mara Go Mara Go Mara!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crikey Mara .... I'm nervous for you too!!! Go girl ... I'm so proud of you. Goodness ... I sound like I'm your Mum, aye? Well right now I feel like your one of MY girls. Good luck ... HAVE FUN!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete